Gardens and Mansions of 19th century Athens, this is an introduction to the little-known Kingdom of Greece.
Visiting Places: National Garden, Panepistimiou Street, Athenian Trilogy, Numismatic Museum of Athens, Museum of the City of Athens, local restaurant/cafe,
Duration: 4 hours (approx.)
Why we like it
This is a tour beyond the Acropolis beaten path revealing the beauty and splendour of the city, allowing first and second time visitors to discover a different side of Greek history with focus on the modern era.
Explore a different side of Greek history, with this walking tour that will take you through the gardens and mansions of 19th century Athens, to discover the optimism and splendour of the first century of Greek independence.
The tour begins with a visit at the enchanting National Garden, to discover its history and flora. You’ll learn about the early days of the modern Greek State, when kings and queens strolled along the garden’s paths, and dreamers and visionaries from across Europe and the world gathered in the newly established Greek capital.
- Take a guided tour of the National Garden with a landscape architect and learn the fascinating history of one of the city’s most important (and beautiful) landmarks
- Discover Athens like never before with an insider’s tour of the Athenian Trilogy (University of Athens - Academy of Athens - National Library) and the Museum of the City of Athens
- Refuel and energaize with a coffee break at Black Duck Garden, an urban garden oasis once owned and frequented by Queen Amalia herself.
Start time: All year, daily (excluding Tuesday) | 9:15 a.m.
Duration: 4 hours (approx.)
Meeting Point: Syntagma Square (meeting) / Klathmonos Square (ending)
Group Size: Private group of min. 2 - max 14 persons.
Pace: Easy, Walking (*The Greek terrain is often hilly, in the countryside and in urban areas alike. If you have mobility issues or special requirements, please contact the Vendor who needs to know in advance in order to provide additional accessibility information and strive to find a suitable solution.)
Spoken Language: English, Greek, French, German and Spanish. More languages may be available upon request.
Included: Field expert (historian), all entrance fees, coffee break as described. Optional private transfer to and from the meeting point may be available upon request.
Excluded: Other food & drinks, transport to/from meeting points, gratuities (optional)
Note: This is a private tour for 2 up to 14 individuals (1 person only upon request). This is a family friendly tour.
Discounts for Young Travellers: Children 2-12 yrs: 50% discount | Children 13-18 yrs: 20% discount | Children up to 2 years old: Free. Claim your Discount Code for kids here.
Cancellation at least 5 days prior to scheduled Program: 70% refund Cancellation 2-4 days prior to booking date: 50% refund Cancellation 48 hours prior to booking/no show: No refund.
- Confirmation to be received as soon as possible (within 24 hours from booking)
- You can present either a print out or an electronic booking confirmation for this activity
- Complete information on Vendor, including local telephone numbers at your destination, will be sent with your Booking Confirmation. The TravelPorter hand-picks the most remarkable, experienced and reliable vetted professionals for a pleasant experience from booking to completion.