by Katia Mavrikou
Nothing can capture the magic of a city better than a video, hands down. But this timelapse video of Athens by Norwegian landscape and travel photographer Stian Rekdal takes things to a whole new level!
Of course, it's a well-known fact that Athens is a seductive place, because it's one of the few cities in the world that have this kind of ravishing energy (don't tell us we didn't warn you!). So, if you are planning to visit Greece and spend a few days in the city (in which case you will definitely need our guide for 2 days in Athens) this video will make you want to book your flight ticket to Athens RIGHT NOW!
You just watched a super unique Athens' guide to the best things to do in the city, but we realise it might be a lot to take in at once, so let us walk you through this video travel experience: top landmarks in Greece, local attractions, and Athens' must see spots all 'deciphered' for you below!
The Best Things to Do in Athens
...inspired by Stian's timelapse video, frame-by-frame!
- Get up close and personal with Goddess Athena at the Academy of Athens (Akadimia).
- Reach the 'finish line' of the Athens Marathon at the Panathenaic Stadium (Kallimarmaro).
- Read a book at the National Library of Athens, a part of the magnificent neoclassical Athens Trilogy.
- Pass by Hadrian's Arch (Pyli tou Adrianou).
- Visit the stunning Zappeion hall.
- Check out one of Athens' must see historical spots, the Temple of Olympian Zeus.
- Time travel to Ancient Greece at the Athens' Acropolis...
- (and while you're there) take at least one selfie at the Parthenon!
- Make friends with the Caryatides at the Erechtheion.
- Watch a performance at the Odeon of Herodes Atticus (Herodeon) under the summer moonlight.
- Take a guided tour around one of the best Greek tourist attractions, the stunning Acropolis museum.
- Sharpen your photography skills while exploring Athens' edgy street art.
- Gaze over Athens from the top of Lycabettus hill (Lycavitos) - definitely one of the most romantic things to do!
- Bargain like a local at the Monastiraki flea market.
- Take your sightseeing beyond the Acropolis and visit the Hephaestus temple inside the Ancient Agora.
- Ride the train from Piraeus port to the northern suburb of Kifissia.
- Watch the sun set into the sea at the Temple of Poseidon in Sounio.
- Swim in one of Athens' best beaches (which are surprisingly clean and beautiful!).
- Get a taste of what the 2004 Athens Olympics excitement felt like, at the Athens Olympic Park (aka OACA).
- Make a wish at a fountain on Syntagma Square (and discover 49 more free things to do in Athens!).
- Watch the daily guard change outside the 'news breaking' Greek Parliament.
- Go shopping solo or join in on a shopping tour (after you get some ideas for what to buy from Greece!).
- Watch the views of Athens from mount Hymettus (one of the most exciting things to do with kids!).
- Take a guided afternoon walking tour in Athens and explore the city under the colors of the sunset sky.
- Take a day trip from Athens' Piraeus port to a nearby island.
- Admire the best of neoclassical Athens with a visit to the Athens University on Panepistimiou street.
- Take a picture of the Runner ('Dromeas') - the definitive proof of how intriguing the Athens art scene is.
- Start from Monastiraki square and walk the alleys of Plaka beneath the Acropolis.
- Explore the vibrant Athens nightlife.
- Draw the stars closer to you, at the National Observatory of Athens.
- Visit Faliro area, by the Athens Riviera (and don't miss out on the anticipated, brand new Niarchos Foundation Cultural Centre).
So, there you are dear travellers! Unshakeable evidence that Athens always holds unique things to do, for all traveler types, at all times.
MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR TRAVEL EXPERIENCE IN ATHENS
here's a useful map of athens to sum it up
PS: This video was a 2015 Stian Rekdal project for VisitGreece, the official website of the Greek Tourism Organisation. The creator is now based in Athens - is that just a coincidence or he has been captivated by the magical vibes and energy of this city? We wonder...
PS2: Check out here more fantastic videos of Greece (and other stunning places) by Stian Rikdal: